Organized by the Marché du Film - Festival de Cannes and
JustFilms - Ford Foundation, with the support of the CNC
and in association with l’OEil d’or – Documentary Award.
Tuesday 15 May 2018
9:30 — 12:00 : Plage du Gray d’Albion
• Welcoming Café & Croissants.
• Opening words by Jérôme Paillard, Executive Director, Marché du Film - Festival de Cannes and Christophe Tardieu, Directeur Général Délégué, CNC - Centre national du cinéma et de l’image animée.
• Opening Keynote by ESA astronaut Thomas Pesquet – a filmmaker in space.
One year after his 6-month mission on the International Space Station, he will discuss Europe’s exciting ongoing programs that go even beyond 2001: A Space Odyssey’s visionary promises. With a presentation of the multi-format documentary project about his mission in space.
• Documentary in a Changing Media Landscape
Paul Pauwels, Director of European Documentary Network (EDN) introduces André Singer, Producer - Spring Films, to present EDN’s initiative: ‘Media & Society: European Documentary in a Changing Media Landscape’.
Panel discussion: Renowned industry experts will be asked to contemplate the near future of the documentary field. They will share their views on the 3 biggest challenges and 3 opportunities lying ahead for the industry and the filmmakers in the next 5 years.
Featuring: Orwa Nyrabia, Artistic Director - IDFA / Fabrice Puchault, Director, Society and Culture Unit - ARTE / Tom Quinn, Founder, CEO - NEON / Diane Weyermann, President, Documentary Film & TV - PARTICIPANT MEDIA.
Moderated by Wendy Mitchell, Screen International.
15:30 — 17:30 : Olympia Theatre
• Welcoming words by the Marché du Film - Festival de Cannes, followed by a presentation of L’OEil d’or Documentary Award by Julie Bertuccelli, President, LaScam.
• Filmmaker Marie Losier, in conversation with Catherine Bizern, Artistic Director, about her film Cassandro the Exotico!
(in selection, Acid).
• When Docs Get Animated: Exploring, Reviving & Preserving Memory A conversation with Stefano Savona, Director of Samouni Road
(in selection, Quinzaine des Réalisateurs) and Anja Kofmel, Director of Chris the Swiss
(in selection, Semaine de la Critique), moderated by Stéphane Dreyfus, Journalist, La Croix.
• Tribute to Alice Guy-Blaché, the first woman director in the history of cinema. By Joan Simon, Co-Writer and Executive Producer of Be Natural: The Untold Story of Alice Guy-Blaché
, directed by Pamela B. Green (in selection, Cannes Classics).
18:00 — 20:00 : Olympia Theatre
• Closing Screening of 16 Sunrises, a feature documentary by Pierre-Emmanuel Le Goff
about ESA astronaut Thomas Pesquet’s mission in space, produced with the support
of the European Space Agency.
Access: Marché badge or invitation
English spoken day